Foundation Earth is a think tank that goes beyond research to put ideas into action. This is our humble beginning. Our mission is to bring an earth-centered economy into reality through a major rethinking of society implemented via outreach campaigns.
We will accomplish this initially by examining the dimensions of a much more sustainable economy, argue for it, and provide advisory services to social movements concerning economic system changes and transformation. We will work with the big ideas, operational plans, and strategies and push initiatives through the windows of opportunity as they open!
There are five proposed areas of focus: economy, law, education, environmental health, and emerging technologies. This is a research institute that then uses its findings for advocacy with the media, educators, policy makers, and the public to inspire transformation of society. We are unaligned with political parties. Together we will provide information and ideas to the media, opinion leaders, and policy makers necessary to have this new vision become reality through policy deliberations and public thought on the most critical ecological and social issues.
The general Foundation Earth strategy is to:
- Gather up some of the best people (worldwide) in key areas that help redirect this industrial age civilization to a necessary new path. Work together to refine a new economy/society (four main areas: economy, legal/governance systems, education/feedback to society, and human/environmental health) – Foundation Earth is a home for often-isolated systems thinkers and a home for their ideas. We will think and learn from their existing body of work.
- Broadly put forth a framework vision of a major shift to earth centered economies and societies. Around key aspects of the framework we will look at the, end vision, operation plans, and political strategy to move the ideas forward – Telling the story/narrative of a self-fulfilling prophesy. Popularizing our approach via media work will be extensive, showcasing the best people on the issues. The True Cost Economy and the Report Card are part of this work.
- Identify and work with existing synergistic organizations and initiatives.Learning from and helping inform them about deeper causes and solutions. Help organize the coalition of environmental, human rights, social justice, women’s, eco-religious, and other movements — Fostering specific (change prodding) initiatives where we have areas of common interest via education and coalition building. Capitalize on teachable moments and key events/conferences.
- Build momentum by showing that our economic model provides a better & more secure future. While one needs to criticize legitimate problems brought on by the current model, the lion’s share of our work will be to convey a positive future with creative pursuits as well as more leisure/family time and time in nature.
- Provide ongoing feedback to funders and other key people on where this effort is fostering a shift in the dialog and agenda. We assess the vision, the plans, and make adjustments to capitalize on changes/events and improve our chances of success.
The moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would not otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man would have dreamed would come his way. I have learned a deep respect for one of Goethe’s couplets: ‘Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it! Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it.’
– W.H. Murray, from The Scottish Himalayan Expedition